From: Davide Mercadante (dmer018_at_aucklanduni.ac.nz)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2014 - 17:32:21 CDT

Dear John and Axel,

many thanks for your replies. I have filed a bug report to Apple to let
them know. I am not sure what or when they are going to reply but I will
keep the vmd-list informed.

John, as far as I understand, nothing in the OpenGL drivers changed in
the latest OS release. Maybe something else is screwing up visualization
when VMD access the Finder window. I hope that the problem will be
solved soon, otherwise there is no other options than switching back to
the older OS or changing visualization software.

Interestingly, VMD seems to be working totally fine and there is no
warning/error message in the terminal. This is an example of when I load
a molecule and the OpenGL window freezes.

######

Info) VMD for MACOSXX86, version 1.9.1 (February 4, 2012)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 4 CPUs detected.
Info) OpenGL renderer: Intel Iris OpenGL Engine
Info) Features: STENCIL MDE MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVF)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (16384x16384), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (8)
Info) Dynamically loaded 2 plugins in directory:
Info) /Applications/VMD 1.9.1.app/Contents/vmd/plugins/MACOSXX86/molfile
Info) File loading in progress, please wait.
Info) Using plugin pdb for structure file XXX.pdb
Info) Using plugin pdb for coordinates from file XXX.pdb
Info) Determining bond structure from distance search ...
Info) Finished with coordinate file XXX.pdb.
Info) Analyzing structure ...
Info) Atoms: 2384
Info) Bonds: 2441
Info) Angles: 0 Dihedrals: 0 Impropers: 0 Cross-terms: 0
Info) Bondtypes: 0 Angletypes: 0 Dihedraltypes: 0 Impropertypes: 0
Info) Residues: 307
Info) Waters: 0
Info) Segments: 1
Info) Fragments: 1 Protein: 1 Nucleic: 0

#####

I am not sure this is of great help. My hardware information are:
MacBook Retina late 2013 - Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 Mb. OS: Yosemite
10.10 - 2nd beta release.

If there is any updates on your side about this please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Davide