From: Olaf Lenz (olenz_at_Physik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 03:51:39 CST

Hello!

I'd like to use VMD to visualize the results of my simulations. Unfortunately,
I'm not doing simulations on the atomic scale, but I'm using a coarse-grained
model (of a lipid bilayer), where each spheric bead represents about 2-3
carboxyl groups. Also, I have my own data format. It should be no problem,
however, to convert this into any arbitrary format.

Before I start trying this, I'd like to ask the experts on this list if they
think it is possible and if I have the right idea of how to do it.
What I'd try is to
1. write a file reader plugin for my data format and
2. define new "atom" types for the unified beads.

I think 1. shouldn't be a problem (I know programming in C++ and Tcl/Tk), but I
wondered if 2. is possible?

Cheers
        Olaf