From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2014 - 11:48:42 CDT

Hi Philippe,

To be honest, this actually seems perfectly normal. You ran VMD with
-dispdev text, which means that there won't be a OpenGL window. Snapshot
works by literally saving the contents of that window to a file, so if
the window doesn't exist, I'm not surprised it didn't do what you
wanted. I'm not sure how the postscript renderer works, but if it only
cared about the VMD internal state, rather than the OpenGL window, it
would work just fine. If you want a TGA, try running without -dispdev
text. Using a different render like Tachyon *might* also work (but I've
never tried doing it this way).
-Josh Vermaas