From: Jim Parker (jimparker96313_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2014 - 16:26:37 CDT

Ok,
  found my error.
I should not use the option "SHARED"

To re-iterate for other users, from the configure script:
# SHARED - compile a shared library instead of a standalone executable

will generate a file vmd.so vice vmd_<arch>
the .so file can presumably be linked to another application, but doesn't
work on its own, nor will the alias 'vmd' execute it.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this.

Cheers,
--Jim