From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 19 2014 - 11:34:16 CDT

Brian,
  If you get a CUDA hang, the "disabled" card may not be disabled "enough",
to prevent CUDA from seeing it and trying to use it. You can either set
the environment variable VMDCUDADEVICEMASK to either 0x1 or 0x2 to force
VMD to use only the non-broken device, or you can set VMDNOCUDA to 1 to
prevent VMD from using both devices. Let me know if that lets you get
past the problem. The best thing would be to completely remove the failing
GPU from your machine so it cannot possibly interfere with your software use.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/