From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2014 - 15:51:43 CDT

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Daniel Strahs <dstrahs_at_pace.edu> wrote:
> Following up on this message thread:
>
> Installing VMD 1.9.1 in Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an i386 laptop:
>
> #1) Initial install from source ran VMD with initial error message:
> "rlwrap: command not found". This was due to a non-installation of
> rlwrap.

hmm... the script should continue not terminate.

> #2) Installed rlwrap. Now VMD refused to run; error message was "rlwrap:
> No match." Checked vmd start script in /usr/local/bin/vmd; vmdprefixcmd
> was set properly to read "rlwrap -C vmd -c -b(){}[],&^%#;|\\ -f
> ${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat"
>
> #3) Edited rlwrap command to eliminate word-breaking characters ie
> "rlwrap -C vmd -c -f ${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat"; vmd starts
> normally
>
> #4) Added in the word-breaking characters carefully testing each
> addition. Final working command is "rlwrap -C vmd -c -b(){}],&^%#;|\\ -f
> ${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat"
>
> The problem with Ubuntu is two-fold. First, rlwrap is choking on the "["
> character for some reason. Second, it only happens when csh is invoked.
> The original rlwrap command (including [) works find in tcsh.

> I haven't clarified whether this is an rlwrap bug or a csh bug in Ubuntu
> 14.04. The immediate solutions at the moment appear to be either editing
> the "[" character out of rlwrap word-breaking characters or switching to
> a different shell in the script, such as tcsh.

at this point it is difficult to tell apart which is a bug or a
feature. there are subtle differences between csh and tcsh and some
what argue that both are equally broken. i am not going down that
rabbit hole, but very obviously the script has only seen limited
testing on a "real" csh.

i also would like to point out another option: use the /bin/sh
compatible version of the launcher script. the bourne shell on ubuntu
is very standard conforming and thus chances are that it has less of
an issue...

axel.