From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2014 - 12:25:04 CDT

Transformation matrices. To go from "world" (atomic) coordinates to what
is on the screen, there are a few transformation matrices that get
applied (look at the molinfo command:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node140.html). The
center_matrix, rotate_matrix, and scale_matrix are applied to the atomic
coordinates and that's what shows up on the screen. The default behavior
is to set these matricies such that the whole extent of the displayed
atomselection of the top molecule is in the middle of the screen. The
extension of the files in question are irrelevant. gro, pdb, dcd, trr,
etc, all get treated the same way.
-Josh Vermaas