From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2014 - 16:02:34 CDT

There isn't a direct way of doing this. Indirectly, you'd need to first
calculate the reference point, then use math operations to determine if
it is less than a distance away from the reference point. For example,
if you determined your center of mass to be at the point (x0, y0, z0),
this selection string will get you the points within radius of the
center of mass.

sqr(x-x0)+sqr(y+y0)+sqr(z-z0) < sqr(radius)

-Josh Vermaas