From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2014 - 09:51:14 CDT

Hi,
  Since you are using an NVIDIA K20m, you will need to download one of the
recent VMD test builds, as K20m is a Kepler-based GPU, and the old VMD 1.9.1
release was compiled without the necessary flags to support Kepler GPUs.

The other error you're getting below seems to indicate that you may have
some kind of issue with VMD finding it's Tcl startup scripts.

Neither of these problems should have anything to do with running
VMD from a bash script or in the background. Do you set any environment
variables differently when you run VMD in the background from this script?

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/