From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Sun May 18 2014 - 16:11:45 CDT

Hi Yeping,

What Axel is saying is that because you need to add +idlepoll to the
command line in NAMD 2.9 when running a GPU-enabled build, the error you
are getting is actually perfectly normal (although undesirable). What
you need to do to fix this is change a line in the tcl script that runs
the plugin. To do this, first figure out the directory where the
NAMDEnergy plugin is stored. env is your friend here. From the tkconsole
of VMD, the "env" command will give you a bunch of information, but you
want what is at the end, the plugin directories. Find the NAMDENERGYDIR
line, and open the namdenergy.tcl file in that directory. You'll find
many lines like this:

exec $namdcmd something.namd > something.log

I think its just a simple matter of adding +idlepoll between the
$namdcmd and the configuration file, and it should no longer give you
that error.

This was the technical solution. Most of the time non-technical
solutions are better. Neither the CPU-only version of NAMD nor the
current GPU-enabled CVS builds of NAMD need the +idlepoll argument, so
you could just try using those. :)
-Josh Vermaas