From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2014 - 08:05:19 CDT

Jean-Patrick,

As I mentioned before, SMILES only encodes molecular graph data, not coordinates. So to convert SMILES to PDB for more than a couple of residues you would have to solve the protein folding problem to start from connectivity data and arrive as a useful 3D structure. SMILES is really not the appropriate format for protein structures, in general.

Perhaps if you told us what you are trying to do, we could be more helpful. Your original question was quite simple--are there tools to go from SMILES to 3D coordinates? Yes, there are, but they are designed for small molecules. You seem to be more interested in large protein structures.

Regards,
Christopher Mayne