From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2014 - 11:18:16 CDT

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Josh Vermaas <vermaas2_at_illinois.edu> wrote:
> Hi Chiara,
>
> The tools that work "out of the box" don't quite give you the level of
> detail you are interested in, since I assume you either want to change the
> radii by frame or the opacity by frame to give the illusion of
> appearing/disappearing. None of the default tools let you do this easily,

well, changing opacity in a material does often not give the desired effect.
an alternate approach would be to load the trajectory and create
two(!) visualizations, one for each of the two states.
then you run the moviemaker script on each of them but tell it to keep
the output and also change the template name in between. this way you
have now two sets of images.

now you can write a little shell script that combines the two images
with different transparency settings.

yet another alternative would be to create the two movies with VMD and
then use a video editing software to blend from one to the other
(might be the easiest option, if you have such a software readily
available).

axel.