From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2014 - 11:31:41 CDT

Tristan,
  There's a special Makefile in the "cionize" plugin source directory
where you can compile a CUDA-enabled binary. It has been my intent to
completely replace the standalone cionize program with handful of new
VMD commands that will enable the development of custom ion placement
tools through the use of the built-in CUDA-accelerated electrostatics
solvers that are already part of recent versions of VMD, so that's
why I haven't put any further time into making a CUDA-enabled cionize
by default. While it won't happen for the VMD 1.9.2 release, I am hopeful
that we'll get this done later this summer.

For the time being, you'll need to compile your own cionize binary from
source, using Makefile.specialbuilds found in the source directory.
Let us know if you need further assistance with this.

Cheers,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/