From: Michael F. Harrach (harrach_at_fkp.tu-darmstadt.de)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2014 - 03:48:36 CDT

Dear Josh,

thanks for your answer! I will definitely take a look at
"https://cgenff.paramchem.org/". I am slightly surprised though
concerning the intercal coordinates. I looked through the
topology-tutorial
"http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/topology/topology-html/",
where the topology files are explained, with a part concerning the IC's:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/topology/topology-html/node4.html#SECTION00041000000000000000

and it is stated in the text: "The * next to the C atom indicates that
it is at the center of an improper angle definition. No * indicates that
the 4 atoms do not have an improper topology." with two examples being
given two explain how the IC's work:

  * IC A B C D [bond(AB)] [angle(ABC)] [dihedral(ABCD)] [angle(BCD)]
    [bond(CD)]
  * IC A B *C D [bond(AC)] [angle(BCA)] [improper(ABCD)] [angle(BCD)]
    [bond(CD)].

Concerning "IC -C CA *N HN 1.3551 126.4900 180.0000 115.4200 0.9996"
they then state "...atoms C, CA, N, and HN have a 180.0000$^\circ$
improper angle...".
I do not quite understand how this meshes with what you said. As far as
I understand the tutorial references the CHARMM force field. Perhaps we
are talking about topology files to different force fields?

Sincerely,
Michael