From: Maxim Belkin (mbelkin_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2014 - 11:30:29 CST

Right after you load your molecule into VMD, do the following:

set sel [atomselect top "selection_to_delete"]
set atomList [lsort -unique [$sel get {segname resid}]]
$sel delete

package require psfgen
resetpsf

readpsf original_psf_file.psf
coordpdb original_pdb_file.pdb

foreach atom $atomList {
        delatom [lindex $atom 0] [lindex $atom 1]
}

writepsf output.psf
writepdb output.pdb

You can also try the following:

set sel [atomselect top "not (selection_to_delete)"]
$sel writepsf output2.psf
$sel writepdb output2.pdb
$sel delete

But check if the second approach gives you the same result as the first one.

-Maxim