From: Olaf Lenz (olenz_at_icp.uni-stuttgart.de)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2014 - 08:30:59 CST

Hi!

The difference is, that .bashrc is only read from your home directory. If
someone is able to manipulate files there, you are going to have a problem
anyway.
In constrast, .vmdrc is read from the directory you are currently in. So if
you are in a directory like "/", or "/tmp", or something else, where other
people can create files, and start vmd, a malicious .vmdrc is excuted.

Olaf