From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 07 2014 - 17:33:11 CST

Tim,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this. I ran some tests on acetonitrile today. Using standard cartesian definition, the Gaussian geometry optimization proceeded without error. Then after converting the linear angle from "A" to "L" and removing the dihedrals involved in the linear angle, the hessian calculation completed without error. If the linear angle is left out, the bond and angle optimization proceeds without error. When including the C-C-N angle in the optimization, ffTK threw an error. Without having looked into it too far, I believe that this is an error in how ffTK tries to interpret the "L" entry, and I'll have to look further into it.

All of that said, it sounds like your particular error is originating from your modification of the Gaussian input file when running the initial geometry optimization, and is propagating to the hessian (ffTK tells Gaussian to pull the geometry used in the hessian calculation from the geometry optimization checkpoint file). so you may have to start over to correct the errors you're seeing. In the meantime, I'll try to fix the error associated with how ffTK reads in the "L" terms.

Regards,
Christopher Mayne