From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2014 - 10:25:06 CST

Hi,
  Yes, the 2GB limit affects the existing 32-bit Windows versions
of VMD just as it does for any other program. I hope to release a 64-bit
version of VMD in the coming release cycle if the libraries we depend
on don't present the kinds of problems they did in past attempts.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/