From: Damiano Buratto (damiano.buratto_at_pd.infn.it)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2014 - 10:09:36 CST

Hi all,

I used vmd without any problem on a pc with 4 NVDIA Tesla accelerators (one of
which is used for display), CUDA 4.0 driver and Scientific Linux 6.4 system.
I have recently installed CUDA 5.5 driver and now when I start vmd,
I get the following message:

Info) VMD for LINUXAMD64, version 1.9.1 (February 1, 2012)
Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
Info) ------------------------------
-------------------------------
Info) Multithreading available, 16 CPUs detected.
Info) Free system memory: 43332MB (89%)
Info) Creating CUDA device pool and initializing hardware...
Info) Detected 4 available CUDA accelerators:
Info) [0] Tesla C2075 14 SM_2.0 @ 1.15 GHz, 5.2GB RAM, KTO, OIO, ZCP
Info) [1] Tesla C2070 14 SM_2.0 @ 1.15 GHz, 5.2GB RAM, OIO, ZCP
Info) [2] Tesla C2070 14 SM_2.0 @ 1.15 GHz, 5.2GB RAM, OIO, ZCP
Info) [3] Tesla C2070 14 SM_2.0 @ 1.15 GHz, 5.2GB RAM, OIO, ZCP
Warning) Detected X11 'Composite' extension: if incorrect display occurs
Warning) try disabling this optional X server feature.

and instantly the system log me out.

I also tried to set environment variables VMDNOGPU or
VMDCUDANODISPLAYGPUS but this do not fix the problem.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Damiano