From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 01:26:48 CST

Dear Vlad,
  Which simulation package are you using with LES? (Amber, NAMD, etc?)
I took a quick read through the MOIL-View manual to see what specific
features they have for viewing LES simulation results, and it looks like
the main things it does are:
  1) select atoms ("pick" in their docs) by LES instance-ID ("copy number")
  2) color by LES instance-ID ("copy number" as they say)
  3) measure positional variance of the LES instances so one can determine
     what parts of the structure are well converged or not
  Is there anything else?

Depending which package your using for your LES simulations and what
file formats your writing, it should in principle be possible to do
all of this in VMD with a bit of scripting. The big question is how
the LES instances are stored in the trajectories, and whether there's
enough information in there to automate most/all of that.

If you've already got some data you want to visualize, I'd be willing
to have a looksee at your files and give you some suggestions on doing
the items above.

Thanks,