From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 22 2013 - 23:38:10 CST

Hi,
  VMD will write the atoms to a PDB file with the ordering
preserved from whatever file you originally loaded. If you expect
the ordering of the atoms to be rearranged in some way, you will
need to do this with your own scripts, likely by creating a new
molecule via "mol new atoms" and setting all of the atom data
in your own script, followed by use of "mol reanalyze". Short of
reordering the atoms with your own script, VMD will always write out
the molecule with the atoms ordered the same way they were originally
loaded.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/