From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2013 - 14:37:33 CDT

Hi Jim,

This is actually a subtle problem present in 1.9.1 (and may have been
fixed now, I'm not sure). What you did was load the pdb file before the
psf file. When that happens, VMD loads the atomtype from the atomnames
column of the pdb instead of the psf that is loaded afterwards, since I
think the filereader is trying to be careful and not clobber data that
already exists. The fix is to be careful when loading your molecule to
load psfs before pdbs. The atomselection writepsf command should still
be used with caution in 1.9.1, as it will not write out extended format
PSFs when required.

-Josh Vermaas