From: A. Gomez-Sicilia (agomezsicilia_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2013 - 07:09:29 CDT

Dear VMD users,

I have been using vmd for 5 years now and need to do an extensive analysis
for which I have python scripts written. Due to the differences in
functionality, transcripting to TCL is difficult. Apparently, however, vmd
is able to interpret python commands.

I tried to install vmd 1.9.1 on my Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit adding the options
"PYTHON NUMPY" to the configure.options file, and after configure and make
install no errors arose. However, the command "vmd -python" prints an error:

> ERROR) Sorry, this version of VMD was compiled with Python support disabled
> ERROR) Skipping startup script because Python could not be started.

Also, starting vmd normally then typing in "gopython" returns:

> invalid command name "gopython"

Other than being unable to read python, vmd behaves normally for whatever
of the cases above.

Is it possible that python support is only available under a 64-bit
platform, or that I am missing some crucial step in the installation? Any
help will be greately appreciated.

Yours,

Àngel