From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2013 - 13:53:55 CDT

Hi,
  The problem you describe is likely an issue with the driver
(perhaps libGL.so) or the X-windows server itself, and not the
compilation of VMD. Recompiling VMD with Mesa probably wouldn't
change any problems you have with remote GLX protocol handling.
Another option would be to look at using VirtualGL, or one of the
VNC-like tools and allowing VMD to run in a direct OpenGL context
locally rather than forwarding all of the GLX protocol over the network
to a remote display. The bandwidth required for sending just the output
image is typically much lower than the bandwidth required to forward
all of the GLX protocol traffic, and therefore it is often faster...

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/