From: Jiri Polach (clarinet_at_atlas.cz)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2013 - 08:02:23 CDT

Hi John,

Thank you for pointing me to glxinfo. After some tests and extensive
googling I found a solution - the easiest initial workaround is to set
an environment variable LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT on the server that does
not allow to run vmd (and/or other X applications, including glxinfo):

LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=yes

The whole problem seems to be somehow connected with Ubuntu and nVidia
drivers and is described in detail in the following thread

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mesa/+bug/384001

I have not studied it into a detail, but I will run more tests to find
out whether it is possible to allow direct rendering even in our situation.

Note: the X connection goes through an ssh tunnel (X11 forwarding).

Best regards,

Jiri Polach