From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2013 - 08:48:13 CDT

Hi,
  It sounds to me like you may have installed VMD versions on top of
each other. You have to be very careful when installing VMD not to
install multiple versions in the same directory, or all kinds of
problems could occur. I would suggest that you uninstall all versions
_first_ and then install just 1.9.1 and see if that works or not.
If you have trouble with 1.9.1, then I would double check that your
download didn't get corrupted, and that you didn't get any errors during
installation. That should clear up your problems.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/