From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2013 - 17:24:19 CDT

Hi,
  You can use a script to draw any text labels you want, aside
from the built-in label commands. I'm attaching a trivial example:

proc labelresidue { residueselection labeltext } {
  set sel [atomselect top "$residueselection and name CA"]
  set positions [$sel get {x y z}]
  set num [$sel num]
  for {set i 0} {$i < $num} {incr i} {
    draw text [lindex $positions $i] $labeltext
  }
  $sel delete
}

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/