From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2013 - 11:17:29 CDT

Hi Andrei,
  If your doing a surface rendering (triangle mesh) then
the surface you see should fall exactly on the isovalue you requested.
If you are using the "points" based surface display, then the you will
see points at the grid point nearest to the requested isovalue, but not
necessarily exactly at the isovalue you requested. So, the answer depends
on which rendering method you're using with the isosurface representation.

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/