From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 20 2013 - 07:46:18 CDT

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM, amit kunte <amit7kunte_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Axel,
> Will it be possible for you without costing too much time to write a similar
> parser for lammps dump as there is for xyz. If not, is it too steep a

for the most part, it is simply that i personally don't care enough. i
consider the readvarxyz thing an ugly hack that solved a specific
problem that i was involved in and *did* care about. for xyz files,
this way fairly simple to do, since the xyz file format does not
contain a lot of information. the LAMMPS dump format, on the other
hand is complex and support many (optional) features. it would be
comparatively easy to adapt the xyz reader/parse for the one specific
format that you are using, but i cannot put such a version into the
distribution, since then a lot of other people will want *their*
version to be supported, too.

> learning curve for someone like me who is not conversant with tcl scripting
> to write it on his own? It would require too much time to rerun all my
> simulations with xyz as the output format.

the situation is pretty simple. you have several choices
- figure out how to do proper Tcl scripting and adapt the code in
topotools for your needs
- figure out how to do proper Python scripting and adapt Pizza.py to
output a suitable .xyz file for you
- figure out a way to compel me to do what you are not willing or able to do
- have your boss/adviser make me an offer i cannot refuse

axel.