From: Jonathan Phillips (pcxjp3_at_nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2013 - 06:45:28 CDT

I'm not sure you've tried what I meant or not, so I'll say it in long.
I find that these sorts of commands are fast:

vmd -parm7 vac.parm -dcd dyn1.nowat.dcd

vmd -dcd dyn1.nowat.dcd -parm7 vac.parm

vmd
followed by the vmd commands
mol addfile dyn1.nowat.dcd type {dcd}
mol addfile vac.parm type {parm7}

but that these are slow:

vmd
followed by the vmd commands
mol addfile vac.parm type {parm7}
mol addfile dyn1.nowat.dcd type {dcd}

and vmd -parm7 vac.parm
followed by the vmd command
mol addfile dyn1.nowat.dcd type {dcd}

So your vmd script comes in the slow category, but when you load from the command line I'd expect it to be fast.
If that doesn't solve your problem then I'm afraid I don't know.
Jon Phillips