From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2013 - 11:55:58 CDT

Hi Eddie,

I don't know enough about why it appears to be in autopsf as a special
case to be very helpful, but again, if there isn't a patch declaration
in the topology files you are giving to autopsf, I always was under the
impression that the patching process will fail. So somewhere in your
specific the charmm27 topology file I'd expect to see a:

PRES CYSD (charge)
atom declarations (atom deletions and redefining the charges.

and since this is missing from charmm36, psfgen complains that the patch
is impossible to do and dies. If this patch doesn't exist in your
charmm27 topology file, I have no clue why it works if you include it
but fails if you don't. :(

-Josh