From: Benjamin Goldsteen (bzgnyc_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 22:46:17 CST

Hi Luis,

So I think the problem is your GL libraries (libGL,
etc). It looks like they are just ignoring DISPLAY
and always connecting to the local X server. I've
seen those junky Mesa GL libraries software render
things on the X11 client side instead of just simply
transmitting them to the X11 server via GLX. It looks
like your GL libraries are doing something different
but equally silly.

I don't have access to a Linux machine at the moment
and don't have any tested suggestions to offer.
However, one thing I tried in the past in a similar
situation was to install the nVidia GL libraries on
the X11 client (Linux server). Even though the Linux
server didn't have an nVidia card in it, this still
worked because the nVidia GL libraries were smart
enough to simply forward the calls via the GLX (it
didn't bother checking for nVidia hardware that isn't
used in remote rendering).

If this works, the main drawback would be that local
GL or even the local X11 server might not work. This
would not be a good tradeoff if your Linux server is
also used as a workstation.

Otherwise, you have to find some working GL libraries
for your Linux system. You might try Xi Graphics's
X11 server (http://www.xig.com). In this case, you
would just be using it for its X11 client libraries.
In theory, you are probably supposed to license (buy a
copy of) it, but the client libraries would probably
work either way. I have never tried XiG's system for
this purpose but they do seem to be better about
getting things right. You can download a demo from
their site and figure out pretty quickly if this will
work for you.