From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2013 - 14:56:55 CDT

Hi,
  If you specify the render command without the final POV-Ray commands,
VMD will generate just the POV-Ray scene input files:
  render POV3 vmdscene.pov

The normal rendering command would look like this:
  render POV3 vmdscene.pov povray +W%w +H%h -I%s -O%s.tga +D +X +A +FT

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/