From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2013 - 12:30:24 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, in general copying files should be fine. Some people are not
as comfortable doing that however, and it's also helpful to me if
people do test the full VMD test builds periodically, to ensure that
there are no "loose ends" unique to one platform.
The Windows builds have a different install mechanism than Unix/Mac,
for example, so by testing the full build it helps to ensure that
the Windows installer is fully up-to-date, and not just the code itself.
Feel free to use whichever approach you prefer.