From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2013 - 09:48:35 CDT

Hi,
  When you are referring to a "transparent" option in your email
below, I assume you are talking about the "Material" setting for a
graphical representation, yes? If changing the default material
for a representation from "Opaque" to "Transparent" has no visible
effect, then most likely you are encountering some sort of problem with
the OpenGL graphics driver for your GPU. What does VMD print in your
startup messages in the section about OpenGL? You should see something
like this when VMD starts up, tell me what yours says:

Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce GTX 285/PCI/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVFG)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)

Does the issue with using the Transparent material change at all if
you switch on VMD Main|Display|Rendermode|GLSL?

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/