From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2013 - 02:17:00 CDT

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 6:52 AM, AnkiReddy katha
<kathaankireddy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> dear VMD users
>
> i want to calculate gofr between the center of mass of a functional group
> and solvent.
> This functional group consists of three atoms (C, O, O).
> the following script (based on the discussions in this list), i used.
> The first selection has three atoms, however i think this will not give
> between the center of mass of these three atoms and water.

*of course* it does not. that would be a highly inconsistent behavior.
how should the command be able to tell the difference, anyway??

> could you please suggest me if you have done like this earlier.

measure gofr only "knows" about atoms. so to make this work, you need
to create a trajectory that has atoms at the position of the center of
mass that you want to analyze. in many cases it is sufficient to
simply select the one atom that is closest to the center of mass of a
residue or molecule.

axel.