From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2013 - 13:16:33 CST

The energies and distances are written out to the log file at each step (as far as I know they still are???). You can use the charge optimization log plotter (COLP) to track their progress over the optimization procedure.

The 1.2-1.5 is taken from the CGenFF 2009 paper: "Typically,the force field should overestimate gas phase dipole moments by 20 to 50% to be relevant for the bulk phase,".

After spending quite an amount of time on force-field parametrization, one thing that becomes apparent is that the rules aren't as precise or deterministic as we would hope! So don't obsess over 1.4 vs. 1.3, for example, because you'll never actually be able to satisfy all constraints simultaneously anyway.