From: Chris Ing (ing.chris_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2013 - 18:14:29 CST

Thank you John Stone,
 I took your advice and used a modified version of the calcDataDist
function in the contact map tool for my ligand docking IMD game.
Essentially it amounts to a few distance calculations from the residues in
the binding pocket to the ligand for each IMD time step, nothing too
high-tech.

 Next question, is it possible to change the color of a molecular
representation based on one of the VMD defined color scales? I would love
to have my ligand change color along a gradient based on the value of this
calcDataDist metric that I have defined (a number between 100-1000). The
best I have come up with this setting a molecule color to a user-defined
one like this "mol modcolor 1 0 ColorID 18" and then redefining it with a
new RGB value like: "color change rgb 18 0.9599999785423279
0.7200000286102295 0.0". The trouble is that I don't have a nicely defined
slice through RGB space off hand in order to color my ligand. Is there a
better way of doing this?

-Chris Ing
University of Toronto