From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2012 - 00:21:25 CST

Hi,
  If you're running on a Windows Vista machine, you'll get better
results running the Windows version of VMD natively rather than running
one of the Linux versions of VMD within a virtual machine or emulator.
I suspect that the OpenGL performance of the native Windows version of VMD
will be much higher than the emulated/virtual machine running the Linux
version of VMD. That said, if you're having trouble with the 'rlwrap'
part of the VMD startup script, you should be able to fix that by commenting
out the rlwrap portions of the 'vmd' startup script on your installation.