From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2012 - 22:25:27 CST

Hi,
  Does VMD print any warnings on this machine when it starts?
(e.g. compiz compositing manager)
It is quite possible you're hitting a driver bug in the latest
driver version.

Can you send the startup messages VMD prints on this machine?
I'm wondering if your OpenGL installation got damaged during
the sequence of upgrades you ran.