From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2012 - 10:56:45 CDT

Hi,
  Those commands should be run in the Unix shell, not in the VMD console.
(e.g. don't run a VMD session from within an existing one, just run a new
 one from the unix shell) I'm assuming that you had run one from within the
other due to the complaint about the invalid "dispdev" command. Either that,
or there was some other typo not shown in your email below.