From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2012 - 12:56:46 CDT

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Mahendra B Thapa <thapamb_at_mail.uc.edu> wrote:
> Dear VMD users,
>
> I generated amber mdcrd file using amber 12
> with the amber force field. To view the structure, I at first loaded prmtop
> file with "file type - AMBER7 Parm" and then loaded mdcrd file with " file
> type - Amber coordinates with periodic box". Unfortunately, VMD did not
> produce image instead just a line like image. Interestingly when I used the
> pdb- format , it worked fine. The question is: why VMD looks like not
> supporting prmtop and mdcrd files.

because you apparently use a much newer version of amber than
what the person used that wrote the molfile plugin for it. amber keeps
occasionally changing its formats, but they are not always easy to
detect automatically, and also somebody has to step up and actually
make the changes to the code. you are most welcome to be that
person to make sure molfile supports amber 12 as well.

cheers,
    axel.