From: Brian Bennion (brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 14:46:37 CST

The beeping is okay if it is two quick beeps. The buttons on the
spaceball select the function of the ball and might need to be reset...
Brian

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Cesar Delgado wrote:

> The problem is that if I don't start xdriver then the ball, on the
> spaceball, doesn't do anything. The button do work, but all of them just
> send the molecule back to infinity, or at least that is what it seems. When
> I start VMD the spaceball beeps just like it does when I start the xdriver.
> I don't know if that is good or bad.
>
> -Cesar Delgado
> Research Computing Facility @ UNL
> http://rcf.unl.edu
> cdelgad2_at_bigred.unl.edu, beettlle_at_hotmail.com
>

> >From: John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu>
> >To: Cesar Delgado <beettlle_at_hotmail.com>
> >CC: vmd-l_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> >Subject: Re: vmd-l: VMD and Chromium
> >Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:28:30 -0600
> >

> >Cesar,
> > Disable the 'xdriver' program, it is interfereing with VMD.
> >You can re-enable the xdriver when you're not using VMD if you need
> >to use the Spaceball with other programs.
> >
> >VMD contains its own spaceball driver and doesn't need to use
> >the xdriver. It directly communicates with the Spaceball over
> >the serial port.
> >
> >Thanks,
> > John Stone
> > vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> >

> >On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 06:03:45PM +0000, Cesar Delgado wrote:
> > > We just received a Spaceball to work with. I have it connected to my
> > > development machine for the moment to try the spcaball out. It's a
> > > 3DConnexion spaceball and it came with a driver (xdriver 4.5). I've
> >tried
> > > to run VMD with the driver running and it behaves eraticaly. When I
> >move
> > > the ball around, not pressing any of the buttons, I get these strange
> > > messages in mthe vmd console:
> > >
> > > Info) VMD for LINUX, version 1.8.1 (June 15, 2003)
> > > Info) http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
> > > Info) Email questions and bug reports to vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> > > Info) Please include this reference in published work using VMD:
> > > Info) Humphrey, W., Dalke, A. and Schulten, K., `VMD - Visual
> > > Info) Molecular Dynamics', J. Molec. Graphics 1996, 14.1, 33-38.
> > > Info) -------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Info) Multithreading available, 1 CPU detected.
> > > Info) OpenGL renderer: Quadro4 900 XGL/AGP/SSE2
> > > Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(4) RN MDE CVA MTX TCM PP
> > > Info) Textures: 2-D (4096x4096), 3-D (512x512x512), Multitexture (4)
> > > Info) Opening Spaceball on port: /dev/ttyS0
> > > vmd > Info) Spaceball set to dominant axis rotation/translation mode
> > > Info) Spaceball reset view orientation
> > > Info) Spaceball set to scaling mode
> > > Info) Spaceball set to rotation/translation mode
> > > Info) Spaceball set to dominant axis rotation/translation mode
> > > Info) Spaceball reset view orientation
> > >
> > > I have also tried to run it without the "xdriver" running and letting
> >VMD
> > > take care of talking to the space ball but then the ball doesn't work.
> >Some
> > >
> > > of the buttons do stuff, but that is it.

> [...]

**Brian Bennion, Ph.D.                                         **
**Computational and Systems Biology Division                   **
**Biology and Biotechnology Research Program                   **
**Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory                       **
**P.O. Box 808, L-448    bennion1_at_llnl.gov                     **
**7000 East Avenue       phone: (925) 422-5722                 **
**Livermore, CA  94550   fax:   (925) 422-6605                 **