From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 29 2012 - 11:01:26 CDT

Hi,
  This sounds like a display driver or X11 remote GLX issue of some kind.

Recently a number of Linux distributions have shipped versions of X windows
that have broken behavior for remote display. I've seen it occur with video
cards and drivers from multiple vendors, so the chances are high that it's
actually the X11 version you're using that's broken and not the video drivers,
but it is hard to say for sure. One thing that would help is to narrow down
the range of scenarios where you get the flickering.

Do you get flickering when you run other OpenGL programs like "glxgears",
or only when you run VMD? VMD is using a much broader range of OpenGL
features than simpler codes like the glxgears demo, but if you also see
flickering with such simple programs, then that would certainly demonstrate
that you've got some kind of problematic interaction between your X-windows
installations when doing remote display of OpenGL via remote GLX. I would
try running "glxgears" and then run a few other OpenGL programs and see
which ones experience the same problem. Working with more information
we may be able to come up with a solution or workaround for you.