From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Fri May 11 2012 - 16:58:47 CDT

Another idea is to monitor the temperatures of the PC, in particular the
video card, but also CPU, motherboard, etc., when VMD is running.

Also, does the freeze happen also with other GPU accelerated applications,
like 3D screen savers or games?

Gianluca

On Fri, 11 May 2012, Mirco Wahab wrote:

> On 10.05.2012 23:24, mpincu wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I just installed VMD1.9.1, Windows OpenGL CUDA.
>> My system is a 64 bit OS, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service pack 1, quad
>> core with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, fully loaded.
>>
>> After I start VMD (no molecule needs to be loaded), within maybe 10
>> minutes, my system crashes with blue screen.
>> What version of the program should I install on my system and/or do I
>> need to set the compatibility ? to what ?
>
> I have almost the same spec on one of the workstations here.
>
> What I see with VMD 1.9.1 is a permanent load on the
> cuda device - even if it is (the 550ti) installed as the
> secondary card; I can clearly hear the fan go somehow louder.
> This stops immediately after closing VMD.
>
> This means, for you - try to improve the air cooling of
> your box, probably by removing the lateral cover of the
> computer case (for testing).
>
> Regards
>
> mwa

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca_at_u.washington.edu
                     +1 (206) 685 4435
                     http://artemide.bioeng.washington.edu/

Research Scientist at the Department of Bioengineering