From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2012 - 07:21:39 CDT

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Paulo E. Abreu <paulo.abreu_at_ci.uc.pt> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using the latest version of VMD (1.9.1 LINUX64) and I have in my
> ~/.vmdrc the command
> mol default style  {CPK 1.0 0.4 32 16}
> and it works on newly loaded molecules via the File-> New Molecule.
> But when I load a molecule from the command line with vmd h2o.xyz,
> the molecule is displayed in the default (lines).
> Is there a way that I can change this behavior so that when I load the
> molecule from the
> command line the result is the same as when loading the molecule from the
> File menu ?

please join me in my campaign to change
VMD's behavior to delay loading of molecules
until the program is fully initialized. the current
behavior is creating all kinds of inconsistencies
like the one you are describing (the fact that
molfile plugin updates are not applied is a second)
and makes the startup code needlessly complex.
this behavior made (some) send way back,
when computers and hard drives were slower,
but should be eliminated for the sake of sanity
of current and future VMD users.

in short, there is no way until VMD is changed.

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer
College of Science and Technology