From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2012 - 14:33:34 CDT

Francois-Xavier,
  Interesting. Thanks for reporting that result. It would seem
that Apple has made changes to the behavior in Cocoa for MacOS X 10.7.x
that break things for Tk/FLTK in general, and not solely for 64-bit builds.
I could certainly add #ifdef tests for the version of the MacOS X that
the code is being compiled on. I worry that all of this is a short-term
fix, as this workaround also depends heavily on changes that are also made
in the latest revs of FLTK and Tcl/Tk. Try your compilation and let me know
how stable the GUI is after you use it for a while. Given that this is the
same symptom that the 64-bit builds had been having, I worry that you may
find the GUI to be less stable than the standard VMD builds we've distributed
up to this point, as that is what I have seen when testing my 64-bit builds
that used this same code workaround.