From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2012 - 15:53:06 CDT

Hi,
  If you're still only running VMD 1.8.x, then yes, you will need
to update. On the other hand, another question I have for you is whether
you have customized anything in your .vmdrc or if you're running the stock
VMD startup scripts? If you've customized it, you should make sure you
don't have any callbacks activated on things like the vmd_frame etc before
you try to make a user-defined movie. We have been using the user-defined
movie feature every day here recently, so it is working fine for us.

What does this command say when you run it in the VMD console:
  package require vmdmovie

What does this command say when you run it in the VMD console:
  vmdinfo version

What does this command say when you run it in the VMD console:
  vmdinfo options