From: Urszula Uciechowska (urszula.uciechowska_at_chem.umu.se)
Date: Wed Feb 15 2012 - 01:48:52 CST

Dear vmd users,

I am getting this error when I start vmd. I installed it according to the instructions.

ERROR) Tcl startup error: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
ERROR) /Projects/johns/tcl/8.5.6/lib_LINUXAMD64/lib/tcl8.5 /home/urszula/Programs/vmd-1.9.1beta1/lib/tcl8.5 /home/urszula/Programs/lib/tcl8.5 /home/urszula/Programs/vmd-1.9.1beta1/library /home/urszula/Programs/library /home/urszula/Programs/tcl8.5.6/library /home/urszula/tcl8.5.6/library
ERROR)
ERROR)
ERROR)
ERROR) This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.
ERROR) Tk startup error: invalid command name "tcl_findLibrary"
ERROR) VMDDIR undefined, startup failure likely.
ERROR) Could not read the vmd initialization file -
ERROR) source {/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/vmdinit.tcl}
ERROR) couldn't read file "/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/vmdinit.tcl": no such file or directory
ERROR) The VMDDIR environment variable is set by the startup
ERROR) script and should point to the top of the VMD hierarchy.
ERROR) VMD will continue with limited functionality.
ERROR) Color definitions file '/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/colordefs.dat' does not exist.
ERROR) Parsing color definitions failed.
ERROR) Material definitions file '/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/materials.dat' does not exist.
ERROR) Parsing material definitions failed.
ERROR) Residue types file '/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/restypes.dat' does not exist.
ERROR) Parsing residue types failed.
ERROR) Atomselection macro file '/usr/local/lib/vmd/scripts/vmd/atomselmacros.dat' does not exist.
ERROR) Parsing atomselection macros failed.
bad window path name "main"
bad window path name "display"
bad window path name "graphics"
bad window path name "color"
bad window path name "files"
bad window path name "labels"
bad window path name "render"
bad window path name "main"
ERROR) invalid command name "vmd_load_extension_packages"

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

/Urszula