From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2012 - 16:21:39 CST

Sergio,
  If you're writing your own surface mesh generation tool, it may be
simpler to create a new VMD representation for your tool than to try
and support the volumetric coloring on arbitrary meshes. It would not
be hard for you to start with the code in the DrawMolItemMSMS, or
DrawMolItemQuickSurf and modify it to either call your program to
compute the surface mesh, or to read an appropriate mesh file as-needed.
This would be a simple way to let you prototype something. If your
mesh generation program isn't fast enough for interactive calculations
(e.g. slower than Surf or MSMS) then we should talk about this further
and I'll see if there's a good way to add arbitrary mesh support in some
way, soon enough to benefit your work. Let me know what you think.